The Kerrisdale Society was formed in 1943 and spent its first decade lobbying and fundraising to get public recreation facilities in Kerrisdale. In those early days, community centres were funded through a special tax levy on residents of the area, that was implemented after a local area plebiscite had approved it. It wasn’t until the mid-1970s that community centres were built from general City revenue. Over the past 20 years, community centre associations across the city have raised millions of dollars to add to the City’s allocation to renovate, expand or replace community centres and other recreation facilities.
This community has invested a great deal of time, energy and money in the Kerrisdale Community Centre for over 70 years; it has a vital role in its operations.